Visitors:

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Netfix ... great ... good ... or evil?

Back in January, our family turned off the expensive Direct TV which was costing us quite a bit of money. Because we are frugal, we had the lowest priced plan, which really gave us nothing above antenna tv other than HGTV and the Food Network.  While I will miss Design Star and Good Eats, it's nothing I can't live without. Floyd purchased a digital recorder which would allow us to record televised shows and play them back later. I almost never watch a TV show live, and haven't watched commercials in forever.

Friends of ours were raving about Netflix, and I have to say it seemed like a good idea, so I signed up in June for a month's free trial.  All it resulted in was Michael watching 22 episodes of Glee and now he's working on some stupid car show.  Kathryn is watching an anime series and I am into Ice Road Truckers in India .... sigh.

We've watched some comedy specials and a couple of movies, but nothing we really want to watch seems to be available at the cheapest monthly price, which is what we are always willing to pay.  So, today I will be cancelling our trial thing and going back to Redbox when we want to watch a movie.

An experiment which has produced a result I didn't think would happen. Sometimes it pays to try things on for size before buying them.  Anyone out there have an opinion about this?

3 comments:

Tanna said...

We only use it for movies and maybe a BBC show that we can't get on antenna tv.... I almost forgot. We also use it for school work. The boys watch a lot of documentaries that go along with their science lessons and a few movies of books they have read. The kids don't touch it unless I'm there and we watch together....Therefore, it works for us.

Anonymous said...

I think all you said is right...you go girl!!!

Ryn Leigh said...

I think we're fine without it. Thanks for getting it and letting me watch my anime show.